Tuesday, September 8, 2009

your greatest weakness is actually your hidden strength

Overlooking the car park and the wide sky, capturing every detail with the fullest care; falling sick this one time, I have never felt more grateful to Allah for giving me the chance to learn that it’s ok to be weak once a while.

Some people would cheat to become stronger, others would train physically or mentally to gain strength, yet more often than not, everyone develops into someone tough and more matured through falls and failures.

Yesterday, I was a first timer as a hospital patient and no words could describe the anxiety and bliss pumping through all inches of my body. Having dreams of being a medical attendant one day, it was like a dream come true to be treated by numerous of them all throughout my stay there (smiling with glee).

Timeline

4th September 2009 (Friday)

9.30am

It all started with a painful feeling all night, so I decided to pay a visit to see Dr Saadah that morning. Surprised with my situation, Dr Saadah advised me to have an immediate appointment with my doctor back at home. My heart started jumping all of a sudden, this is it! When I gave a call home, Ummi was half-worried, calling me every 10 minutes to go through with her my return plan. When I told my friends and naqibah about the sudden decision, you would never trust the news either because my facial expressions did not match, breaking the bad news whilst smiling from ear to ear, hoho. I don’t blame them for exchanging puzzled looks, sorry :D I was just plain excited to be hospitalized. Thank you, gals for the supportive words and aura. They meant so much to me :)

8.30pm

In the end, this was the earliest bus I managed to catch. Thank you, Fi, for sending me to the bus station and accompanying me until break of fast.

5th September 2009 (Saturday)

1.00pm

After meeting Dr N, it was arranged that my operation would be on 10am the next day. Oh, yeay~ Allahuakbar

6th September 2009 (Sunday)

10.00am

I sat in my room, playing around with everything and tried to stay put, as Ummi told me to. The doctor was not in yet and there was a medical attendant who kept coming in and out to give the operation outfit and checking my situation: blood pressure and all. Waiting was rather difficult as eagerness festered on my insides.

1.00pm

I changed into the operation outfit.

1.25pm

They took me to the operation theatre. MasyaAllah, it was freezing cold until your bones would shiver along. They injected me with something and all of a sudden, I felt warm starting from my legs and then, the warmth slowly crept upwards.

2.15pm

“Huh? The operation’s finished already?” I said, sadly. “Yep,” she said, conforming. So, that was it, I guess. AlhamduliLlah, everything went out ok. I took the general anesthetic, so your whole body becomes unconscious. I only managed to remember every detail of the room i knocked out, couldn’t even catch a glimpse of Dr N though. The stitches were aching and all I wanted was rest.

7th September 2009 (Monday)

4.30pm

Goodbye, Dr N, MAs and nurses, and thank you so much for your care. I fully enjoyed my stay at the hospital.

Lessons learnt

If you fully observe the hospital system and the doctor-patient relationship, you could learn so much:

1. A murabbi should be attentive, ever-ready to help and cheerful

Dr. N and Dr Saadah, not to forget, were such nice people. They listened to my health conditions and treated me with love and care. How many of us could be that patient when a friend or mad’u came to us constantly for guidance or attention? Well, there could be once in a while when our expressions cannot fool them, showing fatigue probably. The solution is to never give up because you’ll never know, probably today is their day, one day it will be ours.

2. A murabbi should have a sense of understanding

Dr N and Dr Saadah were very good in treating my situation private and personal. They didn’t shout out or made a hullabaloo about me. AlhamduliLlah. For instance, if a friend chooses you to share his/her family problems and no one else, never ever share this with another person you trust, but with an exception that the other person you share it with does not know your friend and is able to help you with the problem. Also, if your friend has problems involving loss of lives etc, you should know how to tackle the situation without bringing humiliation to his/her dignity.

3. A murabbi should be hardworking and always check on the situation of his/her mad’u

I would never forget how the nurses came up to me constantly, checking out how everything was going out even in the middle of the night. Then, a murabbi should be just like that. Always there for the mad’u, so that one day Allah may bless all your hard work and sacrifice. Hard? Oh, yes but that is the only way to a person’s heart: showing that you care.

4. We should always be the hand above and not below

Giving is better than receiving. Never ask unless you have nothing.

Quotes

Fi: So, what was your illness again? Come on, tell me…

(everyone’s been asking me the same question for the umpteenth time)

Husna: Fi – please don’t ask that again. You know, I don’t want to be reminded that I’m weak.

Fi: Husna, you know that we should always bear in mind that we’re meek servants of Allah. It is ok to feel weak so that you will feel humble and not strut.

Husna: (deep down inside somehow, I felt stupidly guilty for always acting strong and denying my actual self)


When you’re sick, are you the missing link or the invisible link? You choose.

Strength is not what the eyes see, but what the heart feels

4 comments:

  1. Husna, I never knew that you liked to be hospitalized. I wish for it too that I always pray for any sickness to come to me especially brain tumor. How bad it was right? But, nauzubillah. My mom said, "Why would you pray for sickness? Ain't you thankful enough for the healthy body that Allah gives to you?"

    And I was like "..." speechless. Yup. My bad to pray for such things!

    May you stay healthy and strong, Husna. InsyaAllah =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx Fi :-*

    one thing i felt when i was sick that time was sadness. honestly, now i cant run for a couple of months and thats like saying no for recess during school

    grateful is cherishing it all, besides saying thanx to Allah

    entertaining a hospital patient will help u understand that 'health is wealth'

    try it~ ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. syafakillah ya ukht "husna"..=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanx ^^
    may Allah bestow us all health to be able to spread His word and goodwill

    ReplyDelete