Saturday, September 26, 2009

only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live

"Urghh, has the ghost come out?" I asked peeking through my fingers. Congkak was on air and it was not on my list to watch this that night. The movie was giving out eerie sound effects, bringing chills in my backbone and goose pimples on my arms.

"Not yet, relax," my cousin said, confirming. His eyes were wide open. Anxious to see the ghost's appearance I bet.

"How long must it take? Easy for you to say that," I grunted. Feeling childish to hide when every other kid in the house was all eyes on the tv screen, I braved myself to at least give it a go.

"Husna, try to fight that fear of yours,"
advised PakLang, noticing my cowardice behaviour.

"I've tried - for years," I sighed. The ghost revealed its face or should I say, her. I quickly sought refuge behind KakLong. Blood all over her face, my cousin chipped into my discussion with PakLang.

"Do you know that there's a threshold for every fear? You gotta go beyond that threshold. Gather your courage and face it," started PakLang on what he believes has restrained me from looking fear straight into the eye.

"Threshold?" Inside I wondered: If I can't even bear to look at the ghost, what more do I have to endure to get beyond that threshold he mentioned?

"Yup. For instance, you know those who were sentenced
for years behind bars under ISA? At first, those peace warriors probably had fear of being captured. They must have been worried about the many possible things that will happen before them and those left neglected later. But to those who have endured it, they are much braver than those who haven't; to fight for what is right. Do you get my point?"

He wants me to look at what I fear carefreely, I said to myself. Gotta try. "I get it. Probably one day I'll watch a ghost story bravely, but not now."

Lesson:
  • Terrified of watching ghost stories does not mean you are a scaredy-cat. Life has its own fears to be encountered. Don't waste your time and don't teach children to grow brave through horror movies.
  • If you fear something (you run away or feel traumatized), challenge yourself for a go. Fight that fear before it attacks you.
Muslim narrated: Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
"The strong believer is better and more loved by Allah than the weak one, but they are both good."


"Strong will for a strong faith, insyaAllah"

No comments:

Post a Comment